This session will provide attendees with an insight into running a SQL Server consolidation project. We will cover the crucial points to ensure successful server consolidation from both technical and business perspectives.
Here's a summary of the session:
- Business and technical drivers
- Why consolidate?
- Type of consolidation (physical, storage, geographic)
- Planning and considerations
- Key considerations (SQL Server behaviour/ characteristics in shared environments disk/ CPU/ memory)
- Designing SQL instance and common configurations
- Guiding principles for consolidation Design and implementation
- Consolidation process
- Migration Tools
- Potential issues and solutions
- Shared components (schedulers, buffer pool, procedure cache, disk IO, tempdb)
- Using Windows Server Resource Manager or Resource Governor