Performance investigations with Analysis Services 2012
This session will do a brief overview of Analysis Services 2012 performance topics, and drill into some common methods for investigating performance issues. The talk will be adjusted based on the audience interests.
The agenda includes:
- Tabular versus Multidimensional: a very brief overview
- Performance investigation tools: Profiler, XEvents, MDX, ETW
- Tuning Analysis Services for high end hardware
- Common pitfalls for processing performance
- Formula engine performance -- frequently asked questions/issues
Akshai is a long time developer with the Analysis Services team. He was a contributing member of the team that designed the XMLA protocol and implemented the XMLA SDK for Analysis Services 2000. Since then, he has helped to design, build and lead many different parts of the Analysis Services product including Proactive Caching, Dimension/Partition Processing, Block mode, NonEmpty in block mode, xVelocity integration into the Analysis Services engine, scale-up performance efforts, etc.
He has also been heavily involved in building the content for the Maestros course (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlcat/archive/2011/01/31/what-is-the-ssas-maestros.aspx
) and the Operations and Performance guides for Analysis Services.