So Azure SQL DataWarehouse is now available and starting to be use, but what does that mean to you and why should you care?
Reflecting on a large-scale Azure DW project, this session gathers together learnings, successes, failures and general opinions into a crash course in using Azure DataWarehouse “properly”.
We'll start by quickly putting the technology in context, so you know WHEN to use it, WHERE it’s appropriate and WHY it works the way it does.
- Introducing the ADW technology
- Explaining distributions & performance
- Explaining polybase
Then we'll dive into HOW to use it, looking at some real-life design patterns, best practice and some “tales from the trenches” from a recent large Azure DW project.
- Performance tips & tricks (designing for minimal data movement, managing distribution skew, CTAS, Resource classes and more)
- ETL Patterns (Surrogate keys & Orchestration)
- Common Mistakes & Pitfalls
- Conclusions & Recommendations